ECGN Failstars

Make sure to bring lots of med packs, our 64 player beach server is intense!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

Re: ECGN Failstars

Postby parchertaf » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:21 am

likethat wrote:Is 36deg initial timing or full advance. If that is the timing for Idle and no mechanical or vacuum advance on the distributor. Then the distributor is in wrong. but if that is total advance 36* this is usually the best advance for power. From what I have seen it is 7* for setting timing at idle per factory specs. It would seem that the simplest answer is to undo what was dune. Was the vehicle running bad be for he re-timed it? I would doubt very much that the computer would let the engine run on 36* timing at idle. I would look over the timing first. Make sure that #1 cylinder is top dead center on the power stroke while not running and you are turning it to there by hand. Your pointer on the balancer should be very close to 0*. When the #1 cylinder is at the closest it can be to the spark plug hole. Each cylinder reaches the spark plug 2x before each time it fires. If this is not the case then the distributor is out of sync by a tooth or so. That would explain 36* of timing before you had it worked on. I would hope that the mechanic checked that first off.
Once you check out the timing and all is good with the distributor. Then advance it a bit and see if power starts coming back. If you have to go more then 12* I would look at your valves lash setting. Some times they get them to tight and that will rob power. How many miles on it? Did they replace the timing belt when you had it worked on? What is the idle rpm's at it should hold around 650?

It was 36* at idle/initial timing according to the guy which is crazy high. You are right I should re-check the timing I'll do it this week. I'm sure the distributor is in right, I took it out and put it back. It was not off a tooth. Also, I adjusted the valves to spec in August.
I was curious if my symptoms would ring any obvious bells like a bad AFM or TPS sensor etc. Could the electronic timing advance not be working correctly? No timing belt or chain, its gear driven.

About 210k miles on the engine. Never been rebuilt or had the head off or anything to my knowledge. Before he adjusted the timing, it ran great but overheated at idle/slow speeds in hot weather...which its still doing and I can't figure out why. It never would boil over but the temps would creep up to about 220-225. Replaced the entire cooling system including the fan clutch (OEM), radiator, and 3 thermostats (and flushed the block).

Maybe the computer/distributor and/or the electronic advance was not working correctly and was constantly giving me full advance of 36*? That could explain what the guy found when he was checking the initial timing. But now since hes messed with it, I dunno what all hes done to mask the real problem and make it "kind of" run right, if the problem did lie in the distributor/computer.

Postby parchertaf » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:23 am

Shmaley wrote:I've not worked on a land cruiser but have you checked the spark plugs for proper gap and to make sure none of them have fouled? A change in timing can cause some problems that could lead to fouled plugs. And if your plugs are fouled or gapped wrong you will lose power.

Have you tried returning the timing to your previous setting?

I put new plugs in it in August and the gap was pre-set.

I need to check the timing again..I was trusting what the guy said who worked on it.

Postby Shmaley » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:07 pm

I once changed my plugs with a set that was suppose to be set correctly out of the box. My car ran like total shit so I took them back out and they were off anywhere from .005 to .015. So now I always gap them myself.

Sounds like you have more than one issue presently. Once you fix the timing you should take a real close look at your head. Since you have replaced the clutch fan, radiator, 3 thermostats, and flushed the block the biggest suspect in my mind would be the head, head bolts, or head gasket leaking somewhere. Just enough to cause you to have some overheating. This could also cause loss of power.

Postby BigshoT » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:23 pm

caffeine wrote:oh so yours is a make believe car. gotcha

HA. caff wiped his ass with this thread. fuckin' losers

Postby =TAO=WARPIG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:31 pm

BigshoT wrote:HA. caff wiped his ass with this thread. fuckin' losers

Did he get you clean?

Postby HuGgY BiZzLe » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:59 pm

BigshoT wrote:HA. caff wiped his ass with this thread. fuckin' losers

You quoted something that made no sense the first time and managed to have it make even less sense with your input. In some alternate reality, that would be classified as a success.

RTCW Admin

Postby likethat » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Slow speed over heating is usually from to low air draw across the radiator. Fan shrouds help, I am sure you have the stock one still on. This might sound crazy but make sure the fan is blowing air across the engine well and not back into the radiator. I put a fan on backwards once. I could not figure out why it was over heating on anything under 35mph. Till I was setting Idle and was very close to the front of the engine. I turned and looked at the fan, thought to myself why is there no wind in my face. DOHHH!
Over heating at 225 isn't really bad. Many specs say that is the normal running Temp on cars. It helps with emissions. But I say all should run around 180 195. To much timing can lead to a lean running engine and over heat as well as to rich can also.

Spark plug gap is set before it ships, but banging it around in shipment can and does cause the gap to close. We are taking .005 of an inch which make a good joke about man hood.

As for the distributor off a tooth. It will just make it read very high on the timing marks. I have done it many times in the past. I think I get it in right fire it up start timing it and it will not run under 20* of timing. On several makes of cars.

As far as bad sensors. I am sure there is some sort of diagnostic check from the computer. I have a 87 Honda SI and the ECU has 4 led lights that give codes when one is bad. So it should give a code if yours are bad. Let me say that again should but still might not.

No matter what. You have to go thru the systems to find out what is wrong one at a time. The 87 Honda went down one summer and I checked double check and started replacing all the ignition and ECU with junk yard part till I replaced the whole distributor with a used one and it started right up. Before that I took the distributor apart a couple times. Check every thing in it and it all passed any electronic test I did. So some times it just fucks you over till you hit the right way to find the trouble.
"I'M ALL...O-M-G,,, Becky's not even Hot!"
".....and while your pants struggle to support the heavier you....."
"Your checking out my awesome head band"

Postby Objective Taken » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:43 am

HuGgY BiZzLe wrote:Not a single Mustang body style is attractive. The newest ones are crazy fast though.

Not what she said.

The new 'stangs with just a few mods can rape corners and peel tread off Nittos with little effort. I'd a owned a Camaro but, never looked good in a mullet.
This is my '05 I fully modded from bumper to bumper.

Postby Twitch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:17 pm

is that you posing there?

Postby Larry King » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Twitch wrote:is that you posing there?

:rotflmao:
skibby wrote:...All he does is cry bloody murder, get some people banned by really blowing shit way outta proportion and posting selective screenies. And for what? Is the server any better now after his steady stream of tears? Nope, actually it's worse IMHO - lots of good and moderate players no longer play on ECGN, bringing the overall skill on the server down. I think it's about time he gets banned, and takes a nice long break to reflect on how much of a fucking baby he is about EVERYTHING.

Postby Assimilator » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:24 pm

We can all be douchebags from time to time.

"He who comes to us with the sword, shall perish by the sword."

Postby wTh|wa$te » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:50 pm

I DONT KNOW WHO U ARE AND I DONT CARE... U NEVER STOPED ME FROM EVER WINNING DAILY IM A SHRUB GOD FAG AND UR A OSP PUSSYBOY SO GO FUCK URSELF:bazooka: AND EAT MY SHRUB OWNIN ASS OUEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::clap::tard:
PIMPIN AINT EASY!!!!:ar15: LOL BUT IT SURE CAN BE FUN!!!!
http://www.blunttime.com/

Postby Nubz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 pm

wTh|wa$te wrote:I DONT KNOW WHO U ARE AND I DONT CARE... U NEVER STOPED ME FROM EVER WINNING DAILY IM A SHRUB GOD FAG AND UR A OSP PUSSYBOY SO GO FUCK URSELF:bazooka: AND EAT MY SHRUB OWNIN ASS OUEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::clap::tard:

What he said. :repost:

Postby Ding » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:00 pm

assimilator wrote:we can all be douchebags from time to time.

[gay]

omfg sun conures are soo adorable they're just like my bird

[/gay]

Postby Ding » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:01 pm

assimilator wrote:we can all be douchebags from time to time.

[gay]

OMFG i love sun conures they are so adorable like my bird

[/gay]

PreviousNext

Return to Return To Castle Wolfenstein