Help on ping

Make sure to bring lots of med packs, our 64 player beach server is intense!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

Help on ping

Postby Napoleon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:36 am

Hello guys, hope i can get some help from you, the thing is i normally do a ping from cmd and there i got like 55ms but when i enter to the server my ping is 150ms, do you know what could be the problem?, this started like 2 days ago, i checked cl_maxpackets and is 100, rate 25000 and snaps 40, so if you have any recommendation about this it would be great.

Thanks.

Re: Help on ping

Postby skuzzy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:01 pm

From my experiences and troubles with the ping, I have come to the conclusion that I am just simply farther away from the Server than most other players.

I have a very fast internet connection speed (50mbit down, 15mbit up Fiber Optic) and yet I will still hover around 100ping. Sometimes the server will actually have an issue and cause everyone to spike! I think the simplest answer here would be that you are far away from the ECGN server as well.

Postby Napoleon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:03 pm

skuzzy wrote:From my experiences and troubles with the ping, I have come to the conclusion that I am just simply farther away from the Server than most other players.

I have a very fast internet connection speed (50mbit down, 15mbit up Fiber Optic) and yet I will still hover around 100ping. Sometimes the server will actually have an issue and cause everyone to spike! I think the simplest answer here would be that you are far away from the ECGN server as well.

Thanks for reply skuzzy,

Actually i normally ping 55ms on the server, for example today i joined aprox at 1pm CT and my ping was super fine 50ms, this is weird yesterday aprox at 10pm CT was 150ms and my ping on my laptop to the server was 55ms so thats the weird thing im having.

Regards

Postby 'L0, » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Routing issues...sometimes it's due problems on server side and sometimes (more often) due your side..if you're on WIFI..then that's probably the issue, otherwise depends of the two variables - your provider & your routing stuff.. Under routing it falls in different categories..lan segments -> how many are on that lan ..or if you're solely on your computer and your ISP is a solid one and you aren't on WIFI then it's either HW issue or there's something running in background that's chewing your bandwidth -> windows updates, torrents..blah blah.. in a nutshell and in a very basic way..that's the lamest and most simplest explanation. :)

Don't ask for solution as it's near wise impossible to figure out what can be the reason due endless variables that could be the factor..break it down to simple level..WIFI : How many Computer : What's running on them and then work your way from there..if it's ISP..well join the club, we all get screwed by it from time to time, some more often, some of us luckily (knocking on the wood) less..

Postby Napoleon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:20 pm

'L0, wrote:Routing issues...sometimes it's due problems on server side and sometimes (more often) due your side..if you're on WIFI..then that's probably the issue, otherwise depends of the two variables - your provider & your routing stuff.. Under routing it falls in different categories..lan segments -> how many are on that lan ..or if you're solely on your computer and your ISP is a solid one and you aren't on WIFI then it's either HW issue or there's something running in background that's chewing your bandwidth -> windows updates, torrents..blah blah.. in a nutshell and in a very basic way..that's the lamest and most simplest explanation. :)

Don't ask for solution as it's near wise impossible to figure out what can be the reason due endless variables that could be the factor..break it down to simple level..WIFI : How many Computer : What's running on them and then work your way from there..if it's ISP..well join the club, we all get screwed by it from time to time, some more often, some of us luckily (knocking on the wood) less..

Thanks L0 for your comments and information, just to let you know, i have only a laptop and a PC, the laptop is on wifi and pc wired to the router, on the lap is where i notice if there is any packet loss to the server ip, when im playing and my ping get to 150 i quit and i do a ping on my PC and it show 50ms but i join to the game and is on 150ms at the same time i do a ping on the lap is on 50ms, so thats the weird thing, i will try to see what could be the issue and let you know, thanks again.

Postby N3PH!L1M » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:42 pm

This may not solve your problem, but try doing a traceroute to see how many hops it takes when you're having a good ping and when you're having a bad ping. It might help you to see where the bottleneck is. You could also try a VPN when you are having a bad ping, it might lower it, who knows. Traceroute command is tracert 'IPAddress' or tracert 'HostName'

Postby Napoleon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:35 pm

N3PH!L1M wrote:This may not solve your problem, but try doing a traceroute to see how many hops it takes when you're having a good ping and when you're having a bad ping. It might help you to see where the bottleneck is. You could also try a VPN when you are having a bad ping, it might lower it, who knows. Traceroute command is tracert 'IPAddress' or tracert 'HostName'

thanks for reply N3PH!L1m will do those tests

Postby -|SS|-Lao » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:11 pm

I've also been having this issue, usually around peak times my ping will go up to 150 or so from 100. I figure it's just that though, peak usage times.

Postby Tragic » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:57 pm

Send me your cfg, I can have a look at it and see if I can tweak anything to help your issue.

Return to Return To Castle Wolfenstein