Horrible server lag.

Make sure to bring lots of med packs, our 64 player beach server is intense!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

Horrible server lag.

Postby Tragic » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:29 pm

As of lately, I'd say in the past month or so I've had some awfully laggy encounters, now it's happening daily on ECGN(last 2 weeks). Before it would be here and there and I thought to myself it's probably just my connection or the server. However, today I verified that it's definitely your server, or someone purposely trying to lag me(ddos? but why, on an individual?)

Here's me connected to your server this morning @ 11am - there was about 5 people on. Notice how I have no lag, no red spikes, no yellow, no nothing in my lagometer.

Here's me connected as I write this message @ 3pm about 16 players on

Here's me able to still talk, see specs, and be 999 at the same time @ 3pm

Now, to show you I'm not lying. I decided to see if it was ECGN or me, so I opened a 2nd wolf, and loaded up an OSP server, and behold!
As you can see in the pictures, on ECGN I'm 999 or whatever you'd like to call it, and on my secondary wolf, I have an OSP server opened with stable 50 ping.

Here's my connection rate just in case you think I'm on some shit connection that can't handle wolf.

It's a 20/10 connection and I always have stable ping on any game, including rtcw 1.0 servers. Only time I EVER lag is on ECGN, which has been happening as of lately.

Before you ask questions, I will answer them.

Yes I'm physically connected, no wifi for this fella.
Nobody is on my connection, I've checked my wifi in case people are trying to access.
I've tried unlag on and off.

1 of 3 things are what I can think off

1. It's your server(did you change hosts recently or change any server settings?)
2. It's something in my configuration, yet when I exec my cfg on osp servers, I never lag.
3. Someone is purposely doing it(which to purposely lag someone on a game like this, is pretty ridiculous) Reason I'm even mentioning this, is because If you look at the previous pictures, I played this morning with no lag what-so-ever, but as soon as I try to play in the evening, with certain people, I just lag tremendously. I've also done a traceroute to your server, and it's a perfect connection each time. It's gotta be something other then me, or the server.

So with all that being said, thanks for reading. Now can anyone explain why I'm lagging, and how I can fix it? Thanks.

Re: Horrible server lag.

Postby Napoleon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:48 am

Weeks ago i posted that i was having the same problem as you but now seems is fine, but sure is a weird thing, when i had the problem, trace to server was ok 50ms, but in game was having like 150 ms, no wifi here, no sharing internet, only my pc wired to router.

What i can say i found but dont know if that was the problem is, my ISP was changing the internet exits, changing the carriers amd in some point some hops was lost, probably that was the problem, i dont know for sure.

See you in game

Napoleon.

Postby Tragic » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks for the reply Napoleon.

I usually ping fine. It usually goes from 50-300, then from 300 to about 600, then 999. However, during the time I'm 999, it's like I can still play and move around even though it says "connection interrupted" On other servers, if you go 999 you are usually kicked or you can't do anything at all, which In my case, I can still play, it's weird.

over 35 reviews, and only one reply? Can anyone give me a straight answer as to why I'm lagging, or the server? Several people on ECGN as of lately have the same problem I do, so I know I'm not the only one.

Any help is appreciated.

Thread is mainly directed to MAA as he probably knows the answer, can anyone direct him to this thread, please.

Postby skuzzy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:38 pm

You're definitely not alone. I'm certain it is the server. Been playing on ECGN for a while and the latency has gone down hill steadily. Personally, I think the server just may need a new Host. Idk who MAA uses to host but that could be the issue. Maybe the server needs a complete wipe too. But the fact is the latency issues never used to be this bad. With my 50mb wired connection, I get solid very low ping in all other games I play. Even games with servers far away from my location. ECGN has recently been giving me horrible spikes, staying at 100ms, then shooting to 199ms, sometimes 149ms, and then randomly hovering at 100ms again.

:/

Postby Tragic » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:36 pm

skuzzy wrote:You're definitely not alone. I'm certain it is the server. Been playing on ECGN for a while and the latency has gone down hill steadily. Personally, I think the server just may need a new Host. Idk who MAA uses to host but that could be the issue. Maybe the server needs a complete wipe too. But the fact is the latency issues never used to be this bad. With my 50mb wired connection, I get solid very low ping in all other games I play. Even games with servers far away from my location. ECGN has recently been giving me horrible spikes, staying at 100ms, then shooting to 199ms, sometimes 149ms, and then randomly hovering at 100ms again.

:/

You're probably right, I believe its the location or host of the server as well.

I haven't got in contact with MAA about this, that's why I'm posting here so he might see it, or if anyone who has contact with him can be ever so kind to show him this post. I know several people, even including MsB who have had bad latency lately.

I haven't changed anything in my wolf cfg, my connection is still the same as it's always been, same IP, same pc with updated everything(as far as I know).

I understand how someone can get latency issues if they've changed something in their routing or wolf configuration, however, I haven't changed anything. Therefore it leads me to wonder, what the heck is going?

Server might just need a reset, or a refresh.

EDIT:
Just tried joining ECGN, first connection of the day to the server. 600+ ping, all other servers 40-50ping.

Postby Tragic » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 am

100 views, and only two actual replies from people who aren't even an admin. What's going on? Can no one give me an explanation? I've tried contacting MAA via fb and people said my best chances are here. Well with a 100 views, and 1 reply, that's hard to believe.

I understand not everyone checks these forums, I sure don't unless I have a reason too, like this one.

I've messaged him several times either PM or email, with no reply.

Postby Destructor » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:49 pm

I've found that this will happen to me for like a week or two straight, but then seem to not be so bad for a while. It never seems to have to do with anything in particular, just ecgn and my isp having a some domestic issues for a while. maybe keep trying it out til it seems to smooth over. wish I could help more.

if we could just get more people to play on the level design server, it seems to work fine most of the time and map voting is enabled (along with rotation).

RTCW Admin

Postby B » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:16 pm

I didn't respond because I don't have an answer for the issue. Sorry.

RTCW Admin

Postby cateye » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 am

Yeah, sorry—I've been following this as well and don't have any advice. It may be something unique to the path between your ISP and ECGN's, or some broader problem with ECGN's provider or server, but it's unlikely MAA (or anyone) would be able to substantively change it. Your best hope would be to continue to gather information on when it happens and post here. If a pattern emerges that MAA feels he can act on, he will.

Postby Tragic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:02 pm

There is definitely a pattern and thanks for the replies even if you can't help, at least I know you've looked.

During the early mornings, such as now I'm getting a solid 50 ping and no connection issues, with 6 people in the server.
Around 1pm EST is where it all goes haywire and starts to act up, either it's my ISP during that time, the server, or someone purposely trying to lag me(yes people can do this)

I've also noticed when certain people are in the server, I tend to lag more or less. Might sound weird, but I believe peoples connection who are 200-400ping are the ones who are lagging the server.
Late nights on ECGN with east coasters or anyone with 50-100ping I NEVER seem to lag. As soon as I try during the afternoons with 200pingers, I lag, makes no sense unless what I said above is true.

MsB or Cat, if any of you can contact MAA or show him this post I'd gratefully appreciate it.

Several people have had to use 'wtfast' as of lately just to change their locations in order to play on ECGN, and I'd hate to have to start using that.

Postby Hayling » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:28 am

Did you perform a traceroute Tragic?

RTCW Admin

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:48 am

I have asked him for traces to look at but he hasn't responded.

Postby Tragic » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:56 pm

MAN-AT-ARMS wrote:I have asked him for traces to look at but he hasn't responded.

Been busy with work, I got around to getting the info for you.

This is running a tracert to your server from my command prompt during the times I lag on ECGN. (I just got on the pc and I connected to ECGN and didn't even have a chance before it started to lag, so I decided to do a tracert)

I haven't had the chance to do a tracert during the time it's not lagging, as it's been lagging for the last hour. I will check later on if It continues.

Also, decided to ping the server just to see and all seems fine on your end. :/

Once I stop lagging, I will do a tracert.

Postby Tragic » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:43 pm

Haven't' had the chance to tracert without no lag, I will wait until it stops...

RTCW Admin

Postby Jun1oR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Tragic wrote:Haven't' had the chance to tracert without no lag, I will wait until it stops...

Looks to be a routing issue, hop 7 completely timed out. Try to adjust the wait time to get the ip address of the router timing out.

Code: Select all
tracert -w 30000 64.237.36.250

if you can obtain the ip of the router having issues (it will have a high response time) you can try to contact the host to see if they are aware of it. It looks to be on gtt.net's network

Next

Return to Return To Castle Wolfenstein