The ongoing sad death of this game...

Make sure to bring lots of med packs, our 64 player beach server is intense!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

RTCW Admin

The ongoing sad death of this game...

Postby EurO » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:13 pm

... is proudly brought to you by the 4v4 panzers (lazyeye, krispykremem, etc), and the 3-28 doc runners (ricardo something-or-other, diehard, 007, etc). This ticks me off because of how great RTCW is, and how a player can always do something to improve. Nonetheless, we have the unfortunate plight that these players purchased this game, and without any consideration for other players, insist on doing it their way. That is not discluding all those people who ubertweak, are banned, get another GUID and have no less that 20 aliases in their RTCW lifetime. It's like they'd do ANTHING to play in this sandbox. I am still conditioned to look forward to joining ECGN (thanks again MAA) for a Wolfing session, only to be met with these circumstances. Oh well, at least I'm not "wasting time" playing a game on the computer (as they say). There are all kinds of people out there in the world. Sometimes it's just too darn bad that they are in your life in some way.
*stepping off soapbox*

RTCW Admin

Re: The ongoing sad death of this game...

Postby B » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:34 am

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:46 pm

Ain't that the truth, B - and thanks for all that research! I guess I have been repeating myself and heedlessly posting about it because I love this game so much. Return To Castle Wolfenstein is one of the most fun things I have ever done. That isn't a pathetic thing to say, because I've played professional hockey and for years have been a paid musician. There are lots of similarities between physical competition and virtual ones, and being able to compete against people online in an objective-based mode, where you can live to fight another day, and teamwork is essential, is a valuable experience. So, for a few doofuses to purposefully try and upset other players despite calls of reconsideration, and continue to drive the last remaining players away, is a tragedy to me. Everything must come to an end, and I guess it will be the maggots that are the "winners" in the end because they have to clean up the crap. But my lament is solely based on years of eager anticipation, being in that wolfing "zone", and seeing how much the game inspired other parts of my life. Thank you to RTCW! :violin:

RTCW Admin

Postby magus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:47 am

I 100% agree Euro. I got bored of expecting people to play with some decency and class- just because the panz is there doesn't mean you use it no matter the circumstance, and the same goes for running the docs. Unfortunately this means players need some kind of self-regulation which just isn't there for a lot of people. Sadly you can't change their behaviour (unless there was some kind of radical admin clamp-down, which as there hasn't been so far, doesn't look likely) so the only option for keeping your sanity is to move on. It's sad but true (cue Metallica). I've been playing Destiny since September and have had some of my most enjoyable online multiplayer experiences ever- the 6-man raids are not like anything I've ever done in a game before, they require all of the members to communicate, help and to work as a team in order to succeed. Stop fighting it Euro, you'll have to find what you're looking for elsewhere ;)

RTCW Admin

Postby magus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:48 am

RTCW Admin

Postby cateye » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:17 pm

I don't know, Euro. I get that you're upset that a quality to the game you believe was once there has been lost, but I think your expectations about the type of gaming a pub server can (should?) provide are unrealistic.

Let's consider another game: I love Halo on the Xbox. And as with most console and PC multiplayer games, you can play pub matches on a variety of playlists and game types controlled by the developer, or you can play a private match controlled only by yourself. The pub matches are no more or less chaotic than what we've always experienced on ECGN: sometimes people coordinate as a team, sometimes people go all pain in the ass lone-wolf (confession: I'm one of those people). Yet the advantage of a pub match is they're always there, always players, always a variety of maps and game-types. Jump right in, try not to be a dick.

I've played Destiny, too. It's structured to be more cooperative than most FPS-style games, but to think it isn't populated with its share of griefers, lone-wolfs, and poor-sports is just silly. And really the only thing that prevents it from being as big of a problem in Destiny as in a traditional FPS are the MMO components to the game that make it so grindy. You kind of have to *want* to play it. But that's also what makes it a challenging game to just play for fun.

That ECGN exists and offers the equivalent pub environment for RtCW at all is incredibly lucky. But that doesn't mean that all the usual disadvantages of pub games magically go away just because there's just this tiny community left.

If you still like RtCW, yet want everyone to play by specific rules, then maybe you should work to organize a private match. You might be surprised how many people take you up on that idea. Everyone wins?

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:50 pm

Excellent points, Cats, and thanks for the support Mag! (will check out link after writing this)
So true about "moving on", but Wolf has eaten 13 years of my life, and I worry that if I were to REALLY get into another game (Day Of Defeat and Urban Terror don't count), that I would lose another third of my life! It is almost, like you said - unrealistically - that I wish others thought about everyone else's fun while playing as much as I did. How delusional of me!
You make Destiny sound good Magus - is that on Xone or PS4? I only have a PS4 but I can not - repeat, NOT - play FPS with a dual-stick controller. I need one of those XIM4 dealios, but can't seem to bother buying one. I should though, just for the halibut.
Cateye, you saying that there is even a population on a single pub server being "lucky" hits dead-on. I do feel fortunate after a 3-hour session of great Wolfing (most likely with B giving us a rotation - much appreciated). But I made that dang vow years ago that I would play Return To Castle Wolfenstien until the server and population count reaches "0/0". I have actually kept a log over the years on how many active servers there are, and when they are populated and at what capacity. No, I don't have too much time on my hands! Like I said, RTCW is The Most Fun I Have Ever Had, and that is not pathetic - at least I have something definate that I can give that title (besides 5-hour sex, haha).
I appreciate your responses and will endeavor to appreciate even playing in 2015. If ECGN and Wolf dies I will both cry and celebrate at the same time... then, if I move to another country (possibly this year), I will succomb to the console and find out what similar objective-based FPS games exist at the time. It will be a day, for sure!

Postby Destructor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:31 pm

I still play RTCW on a regular basis, the whole doc-running debate is moot. I personally prefer to play for skullz, but the object of the map is to run the docs in so I normally don't let it bother me if someone does that. Wolf was my first online FPS and I still haven't stopped playing it, but through the years I've gotten into and out of other games. Nothing has yet to be as fun as RTCW, but I still try to find stuff. I've even had long discussions with people about trying to make a modern game that has all the stuff that made wolf cool (no iron sites, shoot from the hip, respawns, less overall realism). I've lately gotten into Dayz and America's Army: Proving Grounds. Neither have the same oomph, but it helps to pass the time.

Postby Tragic » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Al thought I tend to agree...

I see you bitching a bunch in game euro. Either about me when I'm playing, or others who panzer you(4v4), or if someone runs the docs.

Best option is to ignore it, as no one is going to enforce rules for these, as this is how the game has been played for over 10 years.

Running docs should have a limit(5mins into game)
Panzers should only be used 6v6 and up.

That's just my opinion, but it will never happen.

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Destructor wrote:Wolf was my first online FPS and I still haven't stopped playing it, but through the years I've gotten into and out of other games. Nothing has yet to be as fun as RTCW, but I still try to find stuff. I've even had long discussions with people about trying to make a modern game that has all the stuff that made wolf cool (no iron sites, shoot from the hip, respawns, less overall realism).

Nice!

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:31 am

Well, at least for today, the title of my thread was inaccurate! :ar15:

Postby murkey » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:56 pm

last week there was like 45 ppl playing at one time on ecgn lol ^_^ t'was a fun night, thanks for rotation MSB! :D

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:06 pm

^^^ - True dat!

Postby Marvo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:22 pm

WOLFENSTEIN RIP 2001-2014.
I'll never forget the time we had.

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:49 am

Well hey, Marv, we can't say that until there is NO ONE playing the game, ever! Remember our vow, "Play RTCW until the server and population count reaches 0/0". Kinda like Red Faction or No One Lives Forever multiplayer - you can update it all you like, but the 5 or 6 servers still accessible never have anyone on them.... THAT'S what Wolf has to be before we say bye-bye! :tommy:

Next

Return to Return To Castle Wolfenstein