anooother rtcw mac download thread

Make sure to bring lots of med packs, our 64 player beach server is intense!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

anooother rtcw mac download thread

Postby bloxzin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi.

I have been trying for sometime now to find a working rtcw download for mac.
Since im pretty new to mac pcs i couldnt follow the torrent ones that had problems etc.
Sooooo i used bootcamp to have a small windows portion and tried games, however it wasnt up to standard.
If anyone has a link to a working copy could you please post.

thanks very much if anyone can help me, my life is not complete without beach!!!
need some wolfy!

RTCW Admin

Re: anooother rtcw mac download thread

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:38 am

The official RTCW builds won't run on anything later than 10.6 (Snow Leopard) because they are built for PPC. You would need the official files for Punkbuster.

Postby bloxzin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:11 pm

So with my computer being Yosemite version, its basically going to be pretty hard for a novice like myself?
Worth just getting a windows something?

RTCW Admin

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:16 am

Apple removed Rosetta in 10.7, which is what you would need to run PPC programs (like RTCW).

Your original idea of running under BootCamp is probably your best option.

It's also possible to create another partition and install Snow Leopard (10.6) on it if you really want/need OS X.

Running the Windows version under BootCamp would probably be the way to go since you'll have the option to play on mod servers, update your drivers, etc.. You'll obviously also be able to play all the other games not available for Mac.

If you don't care about playing on Punkbuster servers you can download iortcw, which will work on Yosemite.

Postby Tragic » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Best option you got has already been mentioned, unless you can find a work around(for ppc)

Dual boot, install windows(xp or win7) I suggest XP because it's a smaller OP system. Update all current XP drivers(you will need to do this manually as MS doesn't support XP anymore) Install rtcw, update PB, and you should be good to go.

RTCW Admin

Postby cateye » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:57 am

RtCW is not a GPU or processor-intensive game at all on modern hardware. I run the Windows version in a Parallels virtual machine on a 2013 iMac capped at 120fps. I find running it as full-screen and locking the mouse input to the VM works best, but otherwise no issues with speed or graphics.

It would be even faster in Boot Camp. As others have said, Boot Camp is likely your easiest option, at the cost of a chunk of your hard drive devoted to a Windows partition.

Postby bloxzin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:44 pm

OK thanks guy. I will give bootcamp another try.
Just last time my laptop was hot as farrrrk when I was playing for a short time.
Its only a small macbook air. I dont know much about it but specs say 1.3ghz i5
4gb 1600 ddr3
intel hd 5000 1536mb

Should it be all ok to run rtcw smoothly?
Also cateye I just had a friend from Fort Collins come visit in nz, remeber her saying some town named Boulder is close haha.

RTCW Admin

Postby cateye » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:56 am

Ha! Small world. Yeah, Fort Collins is like 45 minutes from here, maybe a little longer. Part of a row of cities that hug up against the Rocky Mountains.

Your MB Air should be fine running RtCW in BootCamp (one of the advantages of playing a nearly 15-year-old game: Even low-end modern hardware should have no problem with it). I'm not sure you could pull off running it in a VM at acceptable speeds like I'm doing, but that's a lot more work to set up anyway.

That being said, if it were me, I'd try to "borrow" a Windows license first to set up BootCamp and see how well it works. Don't spend any money until you know the performance will be acceptable.

Postby bloxzin » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Hey guys, if anyone ever checks this again while searching for rtcw mac download.
I have a really easy smooth working method now.
All you need to do is download an app named 'playonmac'
The icon is like a windows flower with 4 different colors.
Then you just need to download the normal windows rtcw exe and playonmac can open it and play it.
No emulators, or windows running on mac, its just a simple program that can play windows games.

Return to Return To Castle Wolfenstein