unlag(shrub) vs antilag(osp/default)?

Make sure to bring lots of med packs, our 64 player beach server is intense!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

Preferred Server Settings?

Unlag disabled, g_antilag enabled
48%
Unlag enabled, g_antilag disabled
50%
Unlag disabled, g_antilag disabled
3%

Total votes : 40

Re: unlag(shrub) vs antilag(osp/default)?

Postby zeroslaw » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:52 am

g_antilag its broken, there are some problems with physics like on sv_fps 40, and never noticed improving in aiming by myself

g_unlag works very well for me, ofc i cant frag enemy with 4-5 bullets like on lowping, but at least the cant run away...

RTCW Admin

Postby Jun1oR » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:21 am

zeroslaw wrote:g_antilag its broken, there are some problems with physics like on sv_fps 40, and never noticed improving in aiming by myself

g_unlag works very well for me, ofc i cant frag enemy with 4-5 bullets like on lowping, but at least the cant run away...

According to everyone in this topic you should be able to frag just like a low ping with unlag. Unlag is perfect logic.... With unlag there is no difference between 10ms and 500ms ping...

Once you admit that the above statement is complete BS you have to admit unlag is flawed. It might help with higher pings but it's not perfect for all players and pings.

My topic title is misleading.

I don't care for either lag compensation but we have to enable one or the other for the high pinging players. I feel like anti lag with a negative timenudge is better for ALL players because I can say for 100% after yesterday's test that unlag is causing issues with hit registration among other things. Unlag is better for higher pings there is no doubt about that but we have to think of everyone.

You guys can be stubborn and not believe what I'm trying to to tell you but it is the truth. After yesterday's test I notice more even game play, no one went 90k/10d... The average players were able to compete with the skilled players. The gap had been shorten.

Read the FAQ here http://www.ra.is/unlagged/

It explains all types of issues that can arise, like late or missed snapshots, ping spread greater than 100ms, hitsounds and knockback are delayed. It goes on and on, google unlagged issues and you see I'm not the only one.

RTCW Admin

Postby B » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:17 am

I think you should leave it on for the weekend. We get the majority of players 30+ tonight. Give it a chance. Let the regulars give their opinions instead of just the ones we have issues with already.

Postby paint:> » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:42 am

I'm willing to give this a shot this weekend but I like the idea of not fixing something that isn't broken. For years, I played with a high ping. Back when there were lots of servers, I was really only able to play on a few servers at consistent play. Those severs were [PC]Newbies Welcome, [PC]Multiclass, and this server. I actually played on those servers with dial up Internet and I was able to compete more with players with low pings. I have better Internet now and a better ping but I don't feel like I was at any disadvantage on this server with unlag. I'm curious to here from any European players who have higher pings. Currently I want to stick with unlag but I'll try this out tonight and see how it goes.

RTCW Admin

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Unlag is turned off

RTCW Admin

Postby Jun1oR » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:26 pm

I have only played on ecgn for a few years. I have always had an issue with unlag. This isn't the first time I have brought this up with MAA.

Seriously this isn't about me. I'm not as active anymore and would be happy playing osp 2x a week. I just think if you give yourselves a chance to adjust (excluding the few 300+ pinging guys) you may be surprised that the average players are better than they appear to be and leet guys are not rtcw gods.

RTCW Admin

Postby Jun1oR » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:28 pm

MAN-AT-ARMS wrote:Unlag is turned off

MAA, can you temporarily increase the timenudge to -30 to help the high pinging players?

RTCW Admin

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:03 pm

I disabled the check for that cvar altogether when I turned it off.
It's not a useful check in any case.

RTCW Admin

Postby Jun1oR » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Another thing I noticed not occurring with unlag disabled is my nades don't randomly explode in my face on the 3rd click. I pretty much stayed clear of running around with nades because of this.

Postby pingrage » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:33 pm

Jun1oR wrote:Another thing I noticed not occurring with unlag disabled is my nades don't randomly exploded in my face on the 3rd click. I pretty much stayed clear of running around with nades because of this.

are you kidding? Sounds like you just have issues playing the game.

I doubt this has happens and if anything it would be caused by your connection or the server lagged like it does sometimes.

RTCW Admin

Postby Jun1oR » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:10 pm

pingrage wrote:
Jun1oR wrote:Another thing I noticed not occurring with unlag disabled is my nades don't randomly exploded in my face on the 3rd click. I pretty much stayed clear of running around with nades because of this.

are you kidding? Sounds like you just have issues playing the game.

I doubt this has happens and if anything it would be caused by your connection or the server lagged like it does sometimes.

Ok so now I'm making shit up just so I can gain an advantage over others? I might as well cheat then.

Lag could indeed cause the nades to randomly explode in my face on 3rd click but it doesn't happen anywhere else. If they do indeed explode in my face again while unlag is disabled I will be sure to update my post. I'm just posting my experiences in the hope to improve gameplay for everyone. You just seem to want to come here to troll this post over a server test. THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT CHANGE! If you don't want to participate in this test then go do something else until its over.

Oh and if you're reading this as a guest you are aware I deleted your useless trolling post and banned you from the forum because of it.

Postby Arachnyd_ » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Playing earlier I noticed a big positive difference in hit registration. People are dropping much faster as opposed to absorbing half a clip. Headshots are registering much better as well. Gibbing with bullets seems practical again.

RTCW Admin

Postby xdeadeye1 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:42 pm

I have a 48 ping and I found the opposite. Like my shots weren't hitting.

Postby Arachnyd_ » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:51 pm

xdeadeye1 wrote:I have a 48 ping and I found the opposite. Like my shots weren't hitting.

Make sure you have cl_timenudge set to -10 or so. If you were shooting at people with super high pings your client may have been incorrectly "guessing" at where the laggy person actually is. Timenudge basically reduces the guessing (actually, clientside interpolation between the other players position between updates from the server).

Shrub's unlag code does some really weird things, so it might just be that you aren't used to playing with normal RTCW netcode. For example, people regularly shooting 40+% accuracy in shrub isn't uncommon. But in competitive RTCW back in the day with guys who scrimmed for hours every night, that sort of accuracy was extremely rare. I see a huge drop in my accuracy between Shrub and OSP. The combination of inflated accuracy but "bullet sponge" players in Shrub tells me that unlag does some really bizarre shit. Ask any OSP player and they will tell you that playing on ECGN too much will fuck up your shot in OSP. Noone is quite sure why.

Postby nosy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:32 pm

MAN-AT-ARMS wrote:Unlag is turned off

was g_antilag 1 turned on in its place?

PreviousNext

Return to Return To Castle Wolfenstein