Music! My other passion

Do you like Rock? Do you like Hip Hop? Or are you the type that likes to ease back and listen to some classical music? Either way, let us know! Welcome to the ECGN music section!

Music! My other passion

Postby vodka » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Music is one of the most important 'things' in my life.

I started dj'ing at around 16 years.
Even then my favorite groups were Nirvana, The offspring. I was really into grunch.

But then evolved to house music and such.
I'm just a local dj in a part in Belgium so I'm very modest about my position

To spare all the details, give it a try.

This is my latest set:

https://soundcloud.com/eduardo_be/eduardo2015-03-08
Style is deep tech house going to tech house

And my best deep house set:

https://www.mixcloud.com/dehaeck/eduardo-20-04-2013-deep-house/

If you ever organize a party or sth... :p
Last edited by vodka on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RTCW Admin

Re: Music! My other passion

Postby EurO » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:03 pm

First link doesn't like my browser, the second is a 404 error - I'd like to listen to your stuff, but is there another way you can point us to it?

Postby vodka » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:13 pm

didn't use the link option

should work now!

Re: Music! My other passion ~ Deep House right?

Postby Hayling » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Deep House, one of my favorite kind of music. Haven't listened to some for a good while.

My Artists:
Harlem Zip Code (I feel music)
The Musicmaker (Layer of Awareness)
Matt Masters (Deep or What?)
Lisa Shaw - Always [It's a Deep House] ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBtb6DiAeY
*Dubacid - Deep and Dub (Zzzzra Rmx)
* Bryan Odgen - I can change your mind [don't get the Vocal version, it ruined the music for me big time]
* Ronin - Coming Over to you [Feels Technological but quite cool]
* Sade - By Your Side (Naked Remix)
* Cosmic Belt - Event Horizon (Original Mix)
* Kinobe - Butterfly (Falling Further Dub mix) [Fell in love with it even though it is 10 minutes, drive that on a cool springfield envoirnment you'll enjoy the 10 minute ride]
* Lee Jung-Hyun (Ava Lee) - Feel Me! [This is a popular South Korean singer. Awkward name for a song but this is O.K. song]
* Plej - Blue [Useful for a bright and bluish morning and you're making breakfast]
* Tiefschwarz ft. Oezlem - City Sounds [Drive in the city and play this sound]
* Ad Finem - Joy [Prefer to use that on a cloudy day in a Japanese City]
Others:

etc. Can't tell
* = edited 3/19 for more EurO critique.
Last edited by Hayling on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Cool! I will check those out tonight. How grateful am I for DVDSoft's "Free YouTube to MP3 Converter" software? :)
I like the more downtempo, spacey-with-drums, kind of ambient stuff.
Recently found faves:
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Silent Running, Interloper
The Field - It's Up There
Blackmill - Home
Octo Octa - Come Closer
Axxess - Desire

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Hayling, here are my obs as I listened:

Harlem Zip Code (I feel music)
I like the drum sounds - clap and snare together is always 70's reminiscient.
Same key signature for too long - can't convince everyone to listen to the whole thing without them getting bored.
Love that low one-two-three-four bassline and the little "pings" that are off-key are fun.
Vocals are oddly neat
Songs ends as it starts, which is never a bad thing.
Definately one to have in your collection if you are into collecting a sample of everything!
8/10

The Musicmaker (Layer of Awareness)
Heavy unchanging same-beat bass drum can turn some people off right away
Seven minutes may be too long for the track
The disco offbeat hi-hat is a bit dated, even for this type of music?
2:20 we get claps for a snare, no melody or memorable theme yet
Sometimes claps, sometimes not - sometimes layers, sometimes not
Kind of feels like what would've been a "filler" track on a compilation album mid'90's
4/10

Matt Masters (Deep or What?)
Almost exact same BPM as the other two, but we get the downbeat right away
Indications of a melody right away, 2:02 teases into a possible commitment - teased
Ghostly vocal sound, "melody" comes back at 3:10 but doesn't grow until a minute later and then doesn't do much else
Kinda disappointed at 4:37 that it didn't blossom into a step up
Nice rideout, quality production
More melodic, but hard to just invest in a drum loop with 2 patches and call it a "song"
6/10

Lisa Shaw - Always [It's a Deep House]
Deep House must have a BPM that everyone agrees upon
The bass guitar can carry me a long way....
Nice vocalist, very structured song - don't need the open hi-hat when you have the casaba
Bit of a drum solo segment at 4:50
The other 3 above tracks had 3 elements, this one had 4
Another keeper, but how often will I listen to it?

8/10

Okay, your turn to do my tracks! :)

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:32 pm

Vodka, I am listening to your second link now, which sounds really cool right off-the-bat, but can you just select specific tracks instead of hour-long listens? Thanks!

RTCW Admin

Postby magus » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:59 am

jesus, remind me never to post any music up here- savage reviews Euro!

Postby vodka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 am

That's just the art of mixing them together!
If you want I can give download link.

I can give you the song names in private.

Postby Hayling » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:05 am

EurO wrote:Okay, your turn to do my tracks! :)
Added more to that list EurO.

I'll get back to you with your's later tonight EurO. So many to listen, long ones.

Including Vodka's...
Last edited by Hayling on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby vodka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:31 am

Songs that I can shoot at this time:

Gerd - Still believe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCBo18auLI
Rashid Ajami - Darya (Affkt Remix) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rhkYpDENGw
Matt Funk - Role Play (Mas Flores Deep Mix) 'cant find on youtube' https://soundcloud.com/amalamusica/...play-mas-flores 'cut'

Not in the set btw

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Hah, Magus, well I hope it's not "savage" as much as it is "authentic"! Being a musician for most of my life means that when I want someone to listen to my stuff, I don't want them to say, "Ya, that's really good, wow, you did that? You are so talented!" I would rather hear, "It sounds a bit repetitious", or "I like this part, but not that one", or "There seems to be too much drums or something - is the bass turned up too high?"
That way, I can guage what a non-expert might hear. Because, my ultimate goal is to write or find or make music that everyone and anyone would like... upon first listen! How difficult is that?
I was in an international "club" where we would send a flashdrive to participants around the world and each guy would put 100 MB of music on for the next and the next, etc. Then, when the flashdrive came back around, the guys that started out with nothing got everything. It was really cool, but it fizzled because we had SO MUCH music that no one could listen to it all!
I had so much fun for the past few years with this cheapo piece of software where you can chop up an mp3 and delete, repeat or mix up the whole song to make it what I thought it should be. And my one stipulation comes from The Beatles... keep the tracks at 3 minutes or less. It's surprising how much you can wring out of a 5+ minute track into 2:47 and have everything the song had in it that made it good. Of course, there are tracks that are just amazing clocking it at 7 minutes and there's nothing you would change.
If anyone would like to see what this software does, email me an mp3 (rinke1971@yahoo.com) and I will put my spin on it - or you can tell me what you think it should sound like.
Ok, off to generate more savage reviews... :cool:

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:48 pm

After 1 1/2 hours, here you are :)

Gerd - Still believe
Stomper bass drum, piano loop sounds cool - technooooooo!
1:47 drop leads to unexpected lack of elevation - fade-in strings ominous
"Do you still believe in our love?" add in that neat electro ride cymbal
Great electronic music songwriting - not as easy as you might think to do well
Can't be techno without those claps at 4:43, 6:05 songs cool value increases
For an example of this type of music, very high quality, a good candidate for me to remix!
8/10

Rashid Ajami - Darya (Affkt Remix)
Might as well start with full drums - no wait, they come at 0:31!
Spacey brass swell, good vocals, amplitude saw mass, very 'synth'-y
Wanted the 4:30 drop to knock me out of my seat, which it could've easily but didn't
Swelling brass again and lowww piano always works
Why not blow us out of the water with a super duper piano solo at 6:00? Darn...
Shortened, probably the most radio-friendly track of the list so far, but missing an ingredient to put it over the top
7/10

Matt Funk - Role Play (Mas Flores Deep Mix) 'cant find on youtube' 'cut'
Link did not work

Dubacid - Deep and Dub (Zzzzra Rmx)
Bounce/delay glockenspiel can put some right to sleep, and wake others up
Like one of the comments, "Great music for love making!"
Oscillating in and out with minimal change, 2:48 brings in something sounding like a hi-hat
That muted clap at 3:21 is subtle and effective, but must reward the listener for listening to almost 5 minutes of unchanging sameness
5:23 reintroduces after a well-made fadeout, but what else can you add that would augment the original sound? Not much, but a track to keep nonetheless
7/10

Bryan Odgen - I can change your mind
That low, free-wheeling bass can't be tolerated by many for extended periods without extensive reward
Sounds a bit like electronic jazz, with someone just soloing over an ostenato the whole time
That cricket/frog chirp sounds like a sample from a 90's song I remember
A bit amateur-ish in construction, could be done with a $9.99 music loop software
Might be good to mix into a larger set, but wouldn't really want to listen to the whole 5+ minutes again
No reward for the listener, no replay
4/10

Ronin - Coming Over to you
Rhodes piano ala 90's ballads - done in 2002, but sounds a bit ahead of it's time
2:04 brings us a theme! Finally! Why not merge that with layered patches to fatten it up as we move along the song?
3:36 break teases into thinking another facet has yet to be introduced, but 4:05 just comes around again
Good production, quality instruments, nice attempt at a timeless track, but not quite
Theme is welcome, but left out in the cold without enough fat to survive the replay winter
I enjoyed listening to this one the first time around, but again, a major ingredient was left out to have someone say "Hey turn this up" when it is played again
7/10

Sade - By Your Side (Naked Remix)
Electronic jazz, augmented 5ths, breathy vocals, an obvious extended mix of a single
DJ takes the vocal track and puts it over something completely different
There is definately an audience for music like this, but it might be in a specific age-set
First one I've fast-forwarded through because I knew nothing would really change
5/10

Cosmic Belt - Event Horizon (Original Mix)
Band name and track name are perfect together
Heavy bass to start, theme key signature quickly established, 1:05 adds some backbone
Nice tones used, good timing with layers, 2:41 brings us what might have come from a keyboard!
Time flies by when listening to this track, 4:10 drop is what the doctor ordered
Very listenable, if only there was some variation with the percussion, this would've been even better
For this type of music, a good example for sure
9/10

Kinobe - Butterfly (Falling Further Dub mix)
Abstract percussion is always a nice change to thumping bass drum
There's the thumping bass, but it's not so bad... with congos to accompany
4:00 in and no musical theme or melody so far, darn it - I can't listen to JUST a drum machine on a loop and call it a song
Climbing bassline reintroduced, nice subtle percussion, but needing more
5:53 brings us a semblance of a memorable theme, and in this case, something is better than nothing
Rideout merges the best of the track into a unit, and although sparse, sounds good
Ending of the track 'saves' the rest of it, why not use those elements throughout the 9 minutes?
7/10

Lee Jung-Hyun (Ava Lee) - Feel Me!
After living in Korea, I know they are capable of anything, even though the women are all scaredy cats
I like the minor chord progression - this is a pop song
K-pop is like pop that should've come out 5-10 years ago, using instruments and production that is 5-10 years in the future
I don't know the lyrics, and won't listen to the track the 1,000 times it'll take to learn them
Good construction, though, and very Western, re: advanced, for Asian music
6/10

Plej - Blue
Zap sounds begin, anyone who likes this type of music will mostly like this offering
Jazz, blues, and fusion mixed with electronica
Neat effects, good layering and production, but tries to be more than it is
Rideout at 4:02 is as good as it gets with this track, which isn't terrible
Not much to analyze here, not good but not bad
6/10

Tiefschwarz ft. Oezlem - City Sounds
Well-established right-off-the-bat, with full instrumentation and vocals
Lyrics are very sex-based, which can appeal or repel
Pretty much a pop song, after 3 minutes reflects on the first 3
Even though I might listen to this again, others might ridicule me for doing so
Probably good to put on at a party where people are dancing, and they enjoy it more dancing than just listening
A hit in another part of the world?
7/10

Ad Finem - Joy
Instantly categorizable by the bass drum thump and bassline
Sounds like it speeds up a bit for some unknown reason
"Searching for some thing that I could not find... a song that would blow my mind"
A memorable track that would be on the bottom half of a best-of compliation from the record label
4:08 is almost too long for this one, because we are asked to accept too much too soon, and then given too little not soon enough
The synth at 3:05 - how earthshaking it is! Not really, but rewards a little for listening this far
5/10

RTCW Admin

Postby magus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:48 am

Well Euro, I'm not sure my criteria for making music and yours are the same- maybe there are times where a track should be 3 mins long and be instantly enjoyable to as many people as possible, but for me that is not really using the full potential of this amazing art form. What do you play mate? I'm curious to know your musical background!

Postby Hayling » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:41 pm

3/20 for EurO ~ Okay now back to the music at hand

I'm ususally a guy likes to listen to a bit quieter but retain a mood with minimization effort.

So I'll try to give a 'balanced rating' and 'my own preference rating'.

* Carbon Based Lifeforms - Silent Running, Interloper 8.5 / 7.1
* Octo Octa - Come Closer - 7.9 / 6.9
* The Field - It's Up There - 7.4 / 7
* Blackmill - Home (Full Version) 7.5 / 7.9 [I thought I was about to listen to Dubstep but it was not]
* Axxess - Desire [I can't find it, so no rating]

I got some more if you like EurO.

* Auricle - Musique [This is actually the track next to the Bryan Odgen one which you hammered it down, from the same New Sound Theory Vol II album]
* Jody Watley - Saturday Night Experience (Ron Trent Remix) [no, not the original]
* Dub Taylor - Pop Immediately (Forms & Figures) [This is a soundtrack I seemed to dislike slightly]
* Sasha - Deep Progress [Probabaly one of my favorites, suitable when I'm building a new PC computer - originally.]
* Bassic - Regenerator [When I first heard the song on YT it was a faster paced soundtrack, this final version I listened to... slow paced and lets me down!]
* Sasha - Boileroom (Owns OnE!'s Break Down mix)
* Ad Finem - If You Fall (Chilled Mix) [This is a Club song other than the Joy song. Very useful if you're being a tourist in Brazil]
* Mindflight - Release [This is a favorite of mine, nothing special but keeps me busy]

The worst song I ever listened is the goddamn Sound System - Trinity... I want 9 minutes of my life back...

Next

Return to Music