Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...

Re: 300

Postby Stl Lunatic » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:26 am

I saw it on Saturday and it was well worth the money! This was one of the best movies I have seen in several years. The quotes said by the people are amazing. "Spartans prepare for glory!", "Eat a hefty breakfast boys, for tonight we dine in hell!", "This is Sparta!"...I loved it...Go see this movie it is a must see! :D:red:

Postby Sabres » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:09 pm

The only time I saw them eat was the King eating an apple... weird.

Postby Stl Lunatic » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:59 pm

This " Image " says you are on a distinguished road???

Postby Darknut » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:47 am

The scene with King Leonidas eating the apple was funny as hell; same goes for his initial encounter with Xerxes.

Postby Sabres » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:52 pm

Yeah that was a funny scene. :lol:

If there was one thing wierd about the movie, it was the fact that they never eat. Leonidas had an apple in one scene and that's all. I remember Leonidas telling the men to go prepare breakfast but they didn't bring any food that I saw so...

Still a kickass movie, go see it.

Postby Stl Lunatic » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:20 pm

My school mascot is a Spartan, so in unison everyone is reciting quotes from the movie. Its quite funny at times. I'm on the baseball team, so before we break to go to our positions we do a 1,2,3 "spartans" cheer. Several times we have also thrown in the occasional "Spartans prepare for glory" before we break.

I have also learned a bit more about the history of the battle that was in the movie 300. When the spartans battled the persians on the end of the mountain pass, the persians actually found a side route where they flanked the spartans and defeated them.
I also learned that in the end of the movie when you see that last battle...they end up losing :( ...which should be easy to interpret since their is no longer a country named Sparta, while there is still Persia...

Extra info on Sparta/Leonidas

Thermopylae (Greek, “Hot Gates”), pass in ancient Greece, southeast of Lamiá, between Mount Oeta and the Malian Gulf and leading from Thessaly (Thessalia) into Locris. The name of the pass is taken from hot sulfur springs in the vicinity. Thermopylae was the main route by which an invading army could penetrate from the north into southern Greece. In ancient times it was a narrow track about 15 m (about 50 ft) wide passing under a cliff, but alluvial deposits have so altered the coastline that it is now a broad swampy plain from 2.4 to 4.8 km (1.5 to 3 mi) wide. During the Persian Wars, Thermopylae won eternal fame as the scene of the heroic death of Leonidas I and his 1400 men, 300 of whom were Spartans, in their attempt to stem the tide of Persian invasion in 480 bc. The Greeks were betrayed by Ephialtes, a Thessalian, into the hands of the Persians, who, by following a path over the mountain, attacked the Greeks from the rear. The Battle of Thermopylae was recorded by the Greek historian Herodotus in his History. Again, in 191 bc, the Seleucid king Antiochus III (the Great) was defeated while attempting to check the Romans at this point.

Leonidas I (died 480 bc), king of Sparta (490?-480 bc). Leonidas is best known for his heroic defense of the narrow pass of Thermopylae against the Persian army of Xerxes I in 480 bc. With an outnumbered force of 6000 to 7000 men, of which 300 were Spartans, Leonidas withstood the Persian invasion for two days. A Thessalian traitor named Ephialtes, however, showed Xerxes a mountain path around the cliffs, and when Leonidas learned that he was about to be attacked from the rear, he sent most of his troops to safety. He remained with the Spartans and about 1100 other soldiers, mainly Thebans and Thespians, who refused to leave. Leonidas and his men perished bravely. The famous Battle of Thermopylae was recorded by the Greek historian Herodotus in his History.

Postby Tommy Boy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:35 pm

Sabres wrote:Great movie to open up the new forum with. This is a must see. The plot wasn't boring or corny at all. Fight scenes were stunning. They really told the story well.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE! well worth the money

was it very violent and gory? I have heard that it is both...

Postby KilRoy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:12 pm

You have heard correctly..both gory & violent. Gladiator x 10. The story was to the point though. I heard that the Iranians are now upset because of the way
the Persians were depicted in the movie??!! By the way...the apple scene kinda reminds me of the opening to Iron Chef. Food Network...if anyone can relate. :freak:

Postby Stl Lunatic » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:57 am

Yes it was gory, but if you want to be historically accurate thats the way it was done in 450 B.C. You wanted to kill the other guy as quickly as possible since there was another guy likely coming for you. If that meant chopping the guyes head off, so be it. I have seen much worse blood and gore. I would say there was more violance than anything else. It is an excellent movie, its thought provoking and brings goose bumps to your side after you see it and can appreciate what they sacrificed for freedom and democracy.

Postby Sabres » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:21 pm

Tommy Boy wrote:was it very violent and gory? I have heard that it is both...

Yes, but don't let that keep you from seeing the movie. It was realistically violent, like the way things actually happened back then. It's no blood and gore like you would see in the Saw and Hostel series.

Postby DocTrebor » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:06 pm

:censor: :censor: the iranians...i say lets go get spartan on their asses again!!:sniper:

Postby Darknut » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:17 pm

The gore is like the Sin City splatter. It's not really that gory. You see people impaled but it's like like you see people slowly getting hacked apart.

As far as eating goes; is it really that important to see them eat? You'd assume that they did at some point.

Postby Stl Lunatic » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:32 pm

We can assume they ate a hefty breakfast...:P

I've heard others complain about the mountain people (Forgot their name) and all of the unrealistic beings. The 12 foot guy and the huge elephants...I thought it made the movie more interesting...I mean Hollywood had to step in and juice it up somewhere...lol

Postby Buliwyf » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:20 am

Tommy Boy wrote:was it very violent and gory? I have heard that it is both...

very :clap:
XBOX 360 Gamertag

Postby Chacal » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Stl Lunatic wrote:It is an excellent movie, its thought provoking and brings goose bumps to your side after you see it and can appreciate what they sacrificed for freedom and democracy.

I think you're getting carried away by the Hollywood treatment given to the story. These were basically a bunch of primitive tribes fighting one another and trying to expand their territory, but since realism wouldn't get viewers in the theaters, some heroism has to be inserted, especially mixed with historically dubious concepts of freedom and democracy. The whole idea is precisely to give US viewers goose bumps.

Greece, and even Athens, was a tribal society based on slavery, only a handful of rich "citizens" had rights. Not your current concept of democracy.
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

PreviousNext

Return to Movies