Greatest movie speeches

Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...

Re: Greatest movie speeches

Postby SavageParrot » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:08 pm

Yeah I have that one up on my wall in poster form :)
TT clan forums

You knows I still wuvs ya rtcw:beer: ;)

Postby FarginMofo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:34 pm

Not a movie (tv series) and not really a speech but one of my favorites is Lt. Speirs giving his POV to Pvt. Blithe in BoB..."“We’re all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there’s still hope. The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you’re already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you’ll be able to function as a soldier’s supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it.”
"Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here."
"Who's we sucka!?"
"Smith and Wesson and me."

Postby Chacal » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:59 am

Speaking of BoB, the ending speech by the German officer to his troops wasn't bad either. Isn't it the only time in the whole series someone actually uses the words "band of brothers"?
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

Postby FarginMofo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:58 pm

Chacal wrote:Speaking of BoB, the ending speech by the German officer to his troops wasn't bad either. Isn't it the only time in the whole series someone actually uses the words "band of brothers"?

Hmmm, never thought about that before but that is correct. I liked that speech as well.
"Who's we sucka!?"

Postby Lord ZOG » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:15 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXATOvBUbsw

Get it while the YouTube Nazis haven't stormed the store front.

I particularly liked the part (in BoB) when the German General shows up to officially surrender and hands in his guns. Lt. Winters (at the time probably a higher rank?) respectfully allows him to keep his guns, and actually salutes him.

He wasn't saluting a Nazi leader, or an enemy soldier, rather a fellow soldier and a superior officer who did his duty and fought for his country.

It was a subtle, yet moving touch.
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Postby King » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:23 pm

The Nazi surrendering was a Colonel, Winters is a Major by that point. When the Nazis were surrendering, they made them surrender to members of the armed forces that were lower in rank to humiliate them in some cases.
"Whats the Situation?" "Two blokes and a fuckload of cutlery!"

Be my Cronie! http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=61909

Postby Lord ZOG » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:40 pm

So, Winters let's the guy keep his guns (a sign of respect by my interpretation), and the Colonel is supposed to feel humiliated by the fact that he's surrendering to a lower rank?

If you're referring to true historic facts and not the movie, I'd understand what you're saying, but I think the movie made it's point with Winters' symbolic, yet harmless gesture.

I found this on Wikipedia;

In the final episode, "Points," Major Winters accepts the surrender of a German Colonel, who offers him an ornate Luger pistol. In the scene, Winters tells him to keep his sidearm, but in the Bonus Features DVD, the real Winters recalls the incident and shows the pistol (a Walther PP) he accepted. In Ambrose's book of the same title, he describes how when Winters examined the firearm, he found it had never been fired, and he hasn't fired it since. He shows this firearm in the HBO documentary We Stand Alone Together. Also in book Beyond Band of Brothers : The war memoirs of Major Dick Winters written by Cole. C. Kingseed with Major Dick Winters it is said that the pistol was accepted but the rank of the German soldier was a Major not Colonel.
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Postby Chacal » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:26 pm

Oh and there's nothing to suggest the Wehrmacht oficer was a Nazi. We never see a NSDAP membership card. Statistically, the probability that a Wehrmacht major was a Nazi is low.
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

Postby cavalierlwt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Two from Glengarry Glenn Ross.

3 minutes, Al Pacino verbally decimating Kevin Spacey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HURJNd0J4U

7 minutes, Alec Baldwin abusing the hell out of a room full of deadbeat salesmen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROhlThs9qY

Seriously, any of you still in High School, screw putting on 'Grease' or some other worthless musical. Instead, put on a play of 'Glenngarry Glenn Ross', I guarantee you'll make headlines! :lol:
Plus you'll get to say dialogue like you just heard in those two speeches.
Failing to plead
with a throat full of dust
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Postby Lord ZOG » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:12 pm

I have to admit I'd heard of Glengarry Glen Ross, but never paid attention to it.

The 2nd clip with Alec Bladwin (I've seen the first one) was definitely an attention getter. Although I don't necessarily agree with what Baldwin's character was spewing (salary over morals), it was spectacular. It made me think of why Baldwin isn't more applauded for his roles.

He was great in Hunt for Red Cotober, great in th Aviator, refreshingly blunt and funnyin Departed and he's brilliant in 30 Rock.
Lord ZOG

Postby Lord ZOG » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:22 pm

Funny thing, I have a Real Estate client in Massachusetts who I think they modeled Baldwin's character after, right down to his looks.

He's slick, smooth talking, has movie star looks and is a top real estate broker.
Lord ZOG

Postby cavalierlwt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:38 pm

Lord ZOG wrote:I have to admit I'd heard of Glengarry Glen Ross, but never paid attention to it.

The 2nd clip with Alec Bladwin (I've seen the first one) was definitely an attention getter. Although I don't necessarily agree with what Baldwin's character was spewing (salary over morals), it was spectacular. It made me think of why Baldwin isn't more applauded for his roles.

He was great in Hunt for Red Cotober, great in th Aviator, refreshingly blunt and funnyin Departed and he's brilliant in 30 Rock.

In the movie he was basically sent by his bosses to this office to kick them all in the ass. Basically the salesman (and the whole company) are almost like con artists--they're selling people crappy plots of land, changing the name of their properties every few months etc.
Failing to plead
with a throat full of dust
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Postby FarginMofo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:07 am

Just saw the movie (again) tonight on cable..."A Time to Kill". Matthew McConaughey closing argument...very powerful stuff.
"Who's we sucka!?"

Previous

Return to Movies