Greatest movie speeches

Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...

Greatest movie speeches

Postby Lord ZOG » Sun May 27, 2007 6:39 pm

I'd like to see or hear people's favorite movie speeches, from any movie, no matter how long or short.

Patton's opening monologue comes to mind, but my favorite speech in a recent movie is David Carradine's "Superman" speech from Kill Bill, Volume 2;

As you know, I’m quite keen on comic books. Especially the ones about superheroes. I find the whole mythology surrounding superheroes fascinating.

Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology… The mythology is not only great, it’s unique.

Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there’s the superhero and there’s the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he’s Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone.

Superman didn’t become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he’s Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red “S” - that’s the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that’s the costume. That’s the costume Superman wears to blend in with us.

Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He’s weak… He’s unsure of himself… He’s a coward.

Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the whole human race.

That kicks ass in so many ways.
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Re: Greatest movie speeches

Postby Sabres » Mon May 28, 2007 10:44 am

V's speech in V for Vendetta.

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

I love it. :D

Postby King » Mon May 28, 2007 11:08 am

You could say any Bond villains' monologue just before Bond ruins the villains' day. But my fav is:

In 1966, Andy Dufresne escaped from Shawshank prison. All they found of him was a muddy set of prison clothes, a bar of soap, and an old rock hammer, damn near worn down to the nub. I used to think it would take six-hundred years to tunnel under the wall with it. Old Andy did it in less than twenty. Oh, Andy loved Geology, I guess it appealed to his meticulous nature. An ice age here, million years of mountain building there. Geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time. That, and a big god-damned poster. Like I said, in prison a man will do anything to keep his mind occupied. It turns out Andy's favourite hobby was totin' his wall through the exercise yard, a handful at a time. I guess after Tommy was killed, he decided he had been here just about long enough. Andy did like he was told, buffed those shoes to a high mirror shine. The guard simply didn't notice, neither did I... I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes? Andy crawled to freedom through five-hundred yards of shit smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want too. Five-Hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile.

That movie is just so f-ing good. i think i like it just because Morgan Freeman's delivery is just perfect for that character.
"Whats the Situation?" "Two blokes and a fuckload of cutlery!"

Be my Cronie! http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=61909

Postby Slaughter2 » Wed May 30, 2007 2:58 am

i like the jerry mcquire speech, as he starts to roll out of the office
"You Create Your Own Destiny"-Doug Kleitz

That's a [color="Red"]PRESENT[/color] from [color="DarkRed"]SLAUGHTER[/color]

[font="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"]Give respect you might get it back![/SIZE][/font] [SIZE="4"](a lesson in life as well as gaming) [/SIZE]

Location: Owning a 9 second import is like coming out of the closet. At first you surprise everyone, but in th

Postby gowhitesox99 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:09 am

I like Bill Pullman's speech in the very corny movie Independence Day.

"Today, we celebrate OUR INDEPENDENCE!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9r_Xq1ZCAw
Weasel!!

Image;Image

Postby SavageParrot » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:49 am

You are all wrong it has to be John Belushi in Animal House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VclHtnoTqRA
TT clan forums

You knows I still wuvs ya rtcw:beer: ;)

Postby Lord ZOG » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:27 am

This isn't about being right or wrong. It's just people's opinions.
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Postby SavageParrot » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:33 am

Silence!

lol I'm only kidding.
TT clan forums

Postby Sabres » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:19 am

I still don't understand more than half of V's speech...

Location: Owning a 9 second import is like coming out of the closet. At first you surprise everyone, but in th

Postby gowhitesox99 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 am

how about the guy from revenge of the nerds part 1
Weasel!!

Image;Image

Postby SavageParrot » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:54 am

Sabres wrote:I still don't understand more than half of V's speech...

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Translation:

Hey presto you see a humble long-time entertainer cast indirectly as both injured party and the bad guy by the changing nature of fate. This mask (literally face) is not just for show it's a symbol of the voice of the people now absent, which has disappeared. However this fearless appearance of past troubles stands re-animated and has promised to beat these corrupt and poisonous scum who protect evil and lead the brutal, savage and insatiable abuse of free will.

The sentence is revenge, a grudge, held sacred, not for nothing, but because its worth and truth will one day prove those people who are alert and honourable to be right.

To be honest though this poncy french soup of speech is bordering on the long-winded so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

-Ok so it's not all a literal translation but basically that's what it means.
TT clan forums

Postby Sabres » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:56 pm

Sweet, it kinda makes sense now.

Postby Lord ZOG » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:35 pm

I've never been sure why exactly V for Vendetta was so highly rated. I found it boring, campy and laughable...the hero in the film hardly struck fear in my mind. The only feeling I got from watching him was the same feeling I get when-ever I watch Kevin Federline trying to rap.
Lord ZOG

Postby cavalierlwt » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:04 pm

I felt the same way about V for Vendetta. I happened to watch "Children of Men" just before trying to watch V...big mistake, V came off looking retarded by comparison. Ten minutes into it the hero uses his knife or whatever to make some badguy's pants fall down. That was the end of it for me.
Failing to plead
with a throat full of dust
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Postby SavageParrot » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:00 am

Children of men was profoundly average as well, a good performance from Michael Cain, a pretty wooden one from most of the others. 1 really good scene when they are leaving the house with the baby but otherwise really not that good or original. V I liked but mostly cos I am a huge fan of 1984 which it ripped off in spades but it wouldn't come close to making my top movies list. Also I can't look at das Portman without thinking of the whine crimes against humanity that were episodes 2 and 3...

Both those films were pretty derrivative. The only thing I really liked about Children of men was the fact that they didn't try to come up with some bullshit reason for not being able to breed. Better to leave it like that than have some pseudo scientific bullshit chucked at you to choke you with your own incredulity.
TT clan forums

Next

Return to Movies