3D Mark 2003 Download

Off topic, but don't go too far overboard - after all, we are watching...heh.

3D Mark 2003 Download

Postby Buliwyf » Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:50 pm

XBOX 360 Gamertag

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:01 pm

Thanks man, I totally forgot about that and direct X, bomb ass!

Doug the Unforgiven

Postby Doug the Unforgiven » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:55 pm

I have no idea what's going on. In a few short words, tell me what this program is and does.

--much appreciated

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:53 am

3dmark measured the integrity/speed of your graphics processing, direct X is a windows side program that aids 3d graphics.......... in short.....

Doug the Unforgiven

Postby Doug the Unforgiven » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:21 pm

Thanks Tool. I downloaded DirectX 9 last night. Thought I had it but was at 8 or 8.1.

So bottom line on that 3Dmark...it's a big program, is it worth it?

Edogg

Postby Edogg » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:31 pm

doug its only worth it if you want to see how well your pc performs or if you want to see next generation computer graphics. it wont do anything special for your computer or make it perform any better. it is quite large and is a very popular benchmark program. the new version just came out yesterday, so everybody is trying to download it at once. All of the sites that let you download it are overloaded right now. it is best to wait a couple weeks until things quiet down. otherwise it might take you a good 10 hours to download it if you can download it at all.

Freedom

Postby Freedom » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:35 pm

I have downloaded it and run a couple tests with various Overclocking. My results range from 1300 to 1500 - roughly a 15% increase due to overclocking.

The interesting thing is that it appears the only way to get high scores is to use the ATI Radeon 9700Pro video card. I looked through hundreds and hundreds of posted scores online and the people using the 9700Pro always (and I mean ALWAYS) have scores at least twice (yes, 200% better) that of anyone else - even those with extremely overclocked Ti4600. The only explanation I have is that the test must use a high level of AA and AF. Because everything else I have read and seen is that while the 9700Pro is superior to everything else, it is only at high levels of AA and AF that it produces results TWICE as good.

I am very interested in hearing what scores other people are getting with the new 3dmark test.

Edogg

Postby Edogg » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:41 pm

Originally posted by Freedom
I have downloaded it and run a couple tests with various Overclocking. My results range from 1300 to 1500 - roughly a 15% increase due to overclocking.

The interesting thing is that it appears the only way to get high scores is to use the ATI Radeon 9700Pro video card. I looked through hundreds and hundreds of posted scores online and the people using the 9700Pro always (and I mean ALWAYS) have scores at least twice (yes, 200% better) that of anyone else - even those with extremely overclocked Ti4600. The only explanation I have is that the test must use a high level of AA and AF. Because everything else I have read and seen is that while the 9700Pro is superior to everything else, it is only at high levels of AA and AF that it produces results TWICE as good.

I am very interested in hearing what scores other people are getting with the new 3dmark test.

I have an easy answer to your pondering freedom. 3d mark 2003 is a directx 9 benchmark. As of right now, the only card that supports direct x 9 is the radeon 9500/9700 series. the geforce fx will be a direct x 9 card if it is ever released:roll: you will probably notice that you cant run some of the tests, that is because those tests are strictly testing direct x 9 features. because you cant run those tests, your score will be considerably lower than the people with 9700 pros.

Doug the Unforgiven

Postby Doug the Unforgiven » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:41 pm

Thanks for the info Edogg. Yeah I couldn't get in to get it anywhere last night.

I may just download it out of curiosity, but it will be an easy wait.:D

Cpl. Bingham

Postby Cpl. Bingham » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:40 pm

I'm running an AMD 1.4ghz, 512mb ram, Geforce3 Ti500, and 3DMark 2003 completely blew away my machine. The only section of the demo that ran half decent was the Dogfight segment. The Nature demo didn't even run because it wasn't supported with my chipset.

But after watching it, I was really underwhelmed by the whole thing, and I don't mean because it ran poorly. Previous releases were chock full of high quality AND creative imagery. This years release was frankly rather boring, and the animation was terrible with a capital T. Not to mention the fact that Futuremark has taken almost all customization out of the free release. Remember how in previous releases you could tweak resolution, effects quality, number of tests, etc, etc? Well, in this release, you get a "Run Benchmark" button and that's it. If you want anything else, you have to pay for the full release.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed by the 2003 version.

Freedom

For those who care.....

Postby Freedom » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:58 pm

nVidia stated their disappointment in the new test and how it calculates performance. While I didn' t read the whole statement I do not believe this in entirely due to the fact that all existing GeForce cards cannot even run some of the tests - because their new card does.

Anyway, they have release a new detonator driver designed to be optimized for the 3dMark 2003 benchmarking test - 42.86. I have installed it and rerun my tests and have received about a 10 to 15% boost in scores. I have no idea if these new drivers will have any effect on my existing games. I'm off to test that right now.

Return to The Smokin' Room