VMWare Virtual PCs- anyone else using them?

Off topic, but don't go too far overboard - after all, we are watching...heh.

VMWare Virtual PCs- anyone else using them?

Postby Major Hazard » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:14 pm

Folks,
I was just seeing if there was any other techies on this forum using VMWare Player or VMWare free server with virtual PCs or servers for personal use.
I currently have about 4 virtual PCs running on my gaming rig, this way I don't expose my gaming rig to potential infections/rootkits or password stealers nor extraneous software that will slow my rig down. I have 1 Virtual PC using XP and Office 2003for Email and regular web browsing. 1 Virtual PC with XP for online shopping (and that is all it does!). 1 Virtual PC for the kids to trash on Webkinz and 1 last Virtual PC for going to sites for Warez, PTP, Torrents, etc I call it "TrashVM". Each is a separate PC with its own XP and software installs.
I also run 3 other VMs on a "Server" pc in the house for testing, 1 of the VMs is a MS domain controller w/ DNS/DHCP.
The great part about "TrashVM" is that I have copy of its disk files. I have gotten the PC infected a few times and all I have to do is copy back the disk files and fire it back up.
The software to create and run VMs is free @ VMware.com under "Free Virtualization Products"

Use the Server software to create VMs and you can either run the VMs on the Server software or with VMWare Player. I use the VMWare Player on my gaming rig to have less impact on memory.

I have also created one master VM with XP and all MS updates and just copy it when I need a quick virtual PC on the fly.

Return to The Smokin' Room