Wolf 1.42a (aka iortcw) released!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

RTCW Admin

Re: Wolf 1.42a (aka iortcw) released!

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:00 am

What are your system specs?
Which build / renderer are you using?
What are your settings?

I took a quick look at that other "unofficial version"...
1. It requires modified game assets, which isn't covered in the license that the game code was released under. So, it's technically illegal to distribute.
2. It replaces an official file, sp_pak4.pk3, with a modified one and so you lose some map fixes, etc. when using it.
3. It is more of a mod than an actual engine update and doesn't contain many changes other than to the drawing code.

iortcw is almost the exact opposite...It's mostly engine fixes that don't require changes to the official game files.

Postby Moon12 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 pm

Thank you for your reply :) Ah I see.

My install includes the wolfenstein patch 1.41, and then I installed Wolf1.42b. I'm using Windows 7 (x64). I also followed the instructions of the rend2-readme.

The original native resolutions of the games (which are limited) give the correct weapon FOVs.
This unnofficial patch includes more ranges of resolution (eg 1920x1080) in the settings. Using this, the weapon FOVs appear correctly. For example, wielding an mp40 will show the left hand holding the clip.

I've seen in this thread's example screenshots that the mp40 is warped (just like mine when I try to use iortcw and use a command to manually adjust resolution to my desktop resolution).

Also there's the problem of the very long load times compared to vanilla (is this unique to me?).

I have an another question:
In a separate install, I've pasted both this unofficial patch and iortcw, and then used unofficial WolfSP.exe (so I can use the correct resolutions and have normal loading times). Will any of the engine improvements (updated effects/shading) from iortcw be included (maybe not since it's not using the iortcw.exe)?

RTCW Admin

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:07 am

My install includes the wolfenstein patch 1.41, and then I installed Wolf1.42b. I'm using Windows 7 (x64). I also followed the instructions of the rend2-readme.

Rend2 is a much more modern renderer and has higher system requirements. You didn't mention your system specs (what CPU / memory / video card), so I'm not sure what to say. It's possible your video card or drivers don't support something in there. I guess try updating your video card drivers.

The original native resolutions of the games (which are limited) give the correct weapon FOVs.
This unnofficial patch includes more ranges of resolution (eg 1920x1080) in the settings. Using this, the weapon FOVs appear correctly. For example, wielding an mp40 will show the left hand holding the clip.

I've seen in this thread's example screenshots that the mp40 is warped (just like mine when I try to use iortcw and use a command to manually adjust resolution to my desktop resolution).

You can use any resolution you want.
Using r_mode -2 will set the res to match your desktop res.
You can also set a custom resolution with the r_mode -1, r_customheight, and r_customwidth cvars.
If you are using wide screen you probably should set the cg_fov cvar as well.
For 16:9 monitors it would be cg_fov 106
For 16:10 monitors it would be cg_fov 100

(1920x1080 is 16:9)

Also there's the problem of the very long load times compared to vanilla (is this unique to me?).

Might be related to the stuff I mentioned earlier with drivers. Do you have long load times when using the original renderer?

I have an another question:
In a separate install, I've pasted both this unofficial patch and iortcw, and then used unofficial WolfSP.exe (so I can use the correct resolutions and have normal loading times). Will any of the engine improvements (updated effects/shading) from iortcw be included (maybe not since it's not using the iortcw.exe)?

The way to do it would be to use the iortcw exe and renderer files, but use the "unofficial" dll files.
In that case you would have to rename the dll files...
(eg. rename cgamex86.dll to cgame_sp_x86.dll, uix86.dll to ui_sp_x86.dll, and qagamex86.dll to qagame_sp_x86.dll)
...and then you would have to put the dll files into the 'main' folder

However, in this case, it won't work.

The problem is that the "unofficial" patch isn't backward (or forward) compatible with any of the official files. The changes made in that version are "all-or-nothing". It also won't work with any other mods.

Postby Moon12 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks!
I see, it may be my video driver (Nvidia GTX670). The original renderer does not give long load times, I don't believe it's an issue of PC performance. What the loading does is that it reaches the end and stalls for a long time, until it finally completes.

Yes, that's how I've tinkered with custom resolutions and fovs. However, the problem is that even the screenshots provided in this thread show warped weapon FOVS or that the weapon is zoomed in too much. This happens to me too, even when I use those commands to adjust resolution/fov/mode. I believe that this is a common problem (that gets overlooked) and not just in my settings (eg it can be seen on youtube gameplay videos/screenshots of other people playing modded Wolfenstein). The unofficial patch provides several 'native' high resolution settings in the menu that have correct weapon FOVs.

RTCW Admin

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:57 pm

It actually has nothing to do with the resolutions being in the menu.
The drawing done by the cgame dll in that "unofficial" version was changed, which is the difference you're seeing.

Unfortunately that developer added changes to the renderer in that version that breaks compatibility, which is why you can't simply use the dll's from that version in iortcw.

Regarding the load times...I would recommend starting with a fresh config and see if there is a certain cvar that is causing the issue.

r_ext_multisample, r_cubemapping, r_primitives, and r_ext_compressed_textures are probably the ones i would check first.

Postby Moon12 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:48 am

So that means there's no way of adapting/fixing the weapon zoom/fov (draw) for any given custom resolution? That's a shame, since the only decent native resolution is 1240 x 1024. Would be awesome if iortcw had some extra resolution settings in the future regardless of legality (I dont think there would be any issue).

Yes, I got a new cvar settings and fixed the long load times. It may have been several things too ( turned off forced vsync, turned off triple buffering, running in admin, etc ). Thank you, the engine/shading improvements look really nice in the game.

RTCW Admin

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:01 am

Maybe for next release. I'll see what I can do with it.

Previous

Return to Releases