This forum is used for questioning why you were banned or kicked from official ECGN servers. Posts anywhere else will be deleted, keep them in here.
Post a reply

Am I banned?

Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:30 am

I can't log in to the Battlefield server #1, and I don't know why - it just says "Failed to Connect to Server".

My username is Hughes. Have I been banned? And if so, can I ask why? I am not a TKer or griefer.

I DID have a few artillery shells go awry... but by accident! (Hard to tell whether the little dots are yours or theirs.)

Can anyone help me figure this out? If I HAVE been banned I'd love to get unbanned if it's at all possible.

I was directed here after registering and posting in the BF forums... looking at this forum, it looks like I'm not the only one with this problem :)

Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:39 am

While my time away from the ECGN server, I met up with Hughes in the PlanetEther Server, a unmoderated :tard: fest.

I assure you, Hughes is not a :tard:

In fact, if I remember correctly, we were talking one night on how bad the :tard: 's were.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:54 am

Hughes, I'm not an admin but here's some useful advice. Go to http://www.teamspeak.org and download Teamspeak. That way, if you happen to accidently TK someone, you can shout out a quick sorry so admins will know it's an accident. Don't rely on the ingame chat because it's way too slow, atleast until 1.6 gets out. Also, go in the BF42 forums on this site and check out the rules. Read them over and make sure you didn't break any of them. :beer:

-Bagginses

Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:57 am

Hughes, I don't see you in the log. PM me your IP address so I can verify if you're banned or not.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:19 pm

Aye aye Chacal, I just PMed it to you.

Xythar, thanks for the props. Yeah it is WAY rough out there in smacktardland.

ECGN consistently has the most users, the lowest ping, and the best players I've seen. I'm desperate to get back.

For those that have been blissfully playing on ECGN and don't know what it's like out there, here's some highlights:

- You are the only one on your team that is not a sniper
- Boats last about a minute before they are beached
- You can't repair your tank/boat/whatever without someone jumping in and driving off with it
- You can't take off in a plane without a teammate destroying it
- You can't take a flag without getting blown up by a friendly grenade
- You can't drive the artillery without someone jumping in the gun and shooting randomly
- The enemy's primary strategy for every map is stealing your team's tanks
- You look on the map and see 75% of your team is at the airfield
- You look on the map and see the other 25% of your team is in the enemy's (untakeable) main base

...etc and so on. Chacal, I hope ye find it in your heart to reinstate me, if I have been banned.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:55 pm

Hughes, you presented yourself in a mature manner. After Chacal does some digging, I hope all is well for ya. I don't believe I banned you as I normally notate it in our logs, but this weekend was a mess :)

Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:11 pm

Your IP is indeed in the ban list. Any admin remembers banning him?

Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:16 pm

Not me....

but my last two brain cells haven't been rubbing together much as of late.....

Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:41 pm

Not I, as mentioned.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:30 pm

Chacal it would have been a while ago, at least a month.

At the time, I:

a) didn't know what a tight ship you were running

b) didn't realize how important ECGN is in the BF server landscape :)

I'm sure whatever admin did it had a reason, and maybe just saw some accidental TKs and thought I was a usual pub smacktard. I remember having a big problem on ECGN with friendly vehicles driving over my landmines (do you guys consider that the engineer's or the driver's fault on this server? I remember yelling "Wait! Wait!"), and I know I hit some friendlies with artillery once by mistake.

Now that I can appreciate what kind of operation you've all got going here I'd be sure to be more careful with my fire, and use expacks when possible instead of landmines, etc.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:10 pm

The name does not ring a bell with me, i say let him back in.

:beer:

Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:17 pm

I dont remember either, but I nominate him to be unbanned.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:26 pm

Originally posted by Hughes
Chacal it would have been a while ago, at least a month.

At the time, I:

a) didn't know what a tight ship you were running

b) didn't realize how important ECGN is in the BF server landscape :)

I'm sure whatever admin did it had a reason, and maybe just saw some accidental TKs and thought I was a usual pub smacktard. I remember having a big problem on ECGN with friendly vehicles driving over my landmines (do you guys consider that the engineer's or the driver's fault on this server? I remember yelling "Wait! Wait!"), and I know I hit some friendlies with artillery once by mistake.

Now that I can appreciate what kind of operation you've all got going here I'd be sure to be more careful with my fire, and use expacks when possible instead of landmines, etc.
Hughes, continue to use landmines but make sure to get on teamspeak with us, that way you can notify an admin that someone is running over your mines :)

even if you don't have a mic, it's nice to chime in and listen on TS, a few ppl do that as well.

Teamspeak Info

First, head over to http://www.teamspeak.org to download the latest Teamspeak client.

Next, after installing TS you will need to enter in the IP to join the ECGN TS server. The server IP is the following: 205.177.13.42 . You can either enter this manually when you start TS, or you can click the below link to automatically join the server. teamspeak://205.177.13.42:8767/

Please also note that the channels on our TS server are either for gaming talk or for customers.

Do not use the un-passworded channels to play on other servers or talk, that is what General Chit-Chat is for.

There is also a nice utility for those players without headphones. Below is an excerpt of a tool that is handy if you do not have a headset available for your gaming pleasure

"I play with speakers, not headphones.

Unfortunately, the background noises in BF1942 make it hard to transmit in Teamspeak.

I wrote a utility to help. It mutes the Master volume to a pre-selectable level whenever you press your PTT key.

If you are interested you can get it at http://webpages.charter.net/lkg/silencer.exe

Just match the hotkey selection in my utility to the PTT key you use in Teamspeak. (sorry but it does not save your selection)

Please let me know if it is helpful...
(SRM) Rondeau"

http://forums.powervs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6995

Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:03 pm

Unbanned. Welcome back, Hughes.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:08 pm

You guys rock. Thanks. I'll see ya online.

And thanks also Buliwyf for the great info on Teamspeak. I'll go check it out now and let ye know how your utility works, it sounds handy. - Hughes.
Post a reply