Just Priceless!

Off topic, but don't go too far overboard - after all, we are watching...heh.
(>Tool<)

Just Priceless!

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:38 pm

You guys won't believe this, what a great story lol, ok pay attention. My dads good friend was having computer troubles right, when he tried to open his topographic map software it would either take forever or most often it would freeze. This guy takes 2 computers with the same symptoms to 4 people who are suposedly "Computer Guru's" right. They do nothing. He brings it to me and frantically offers me $100 to get his computers working. So I gladly accept and start work on them. I'm thinking ok this is odd, its so simple. It took atleast 10 minutes for the computer to boot when I discover 3 different virus scanners running on auto-protect at the same time, fucking MacAffee, Norton, and PCSillin. So I uninstall MacAffee and Norton and left PCSillin but disabled the auto protect and turned on the windows xp firewall. Then I cleared his hard drive of obviously unneeded files, he had easy CD creator 4 and 5. :lol: Things like that, so I did all that, then cleaned and defragmented the hard drive. It took me half an hour and no more problem. The second computer was almost identical. Now tell me for $100 that doesn't fucking rule! :D

Edogg

Postby Edogg » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:59 pm

thats a pretty sweet deal. u gotta love it when people dont know how to manage and maintain their systems. usually their desktop is cluttered with tons of icons, and they have tons of useless programs running in the background. and if you ask them if they have ever defragged their hard drive, they say,"whats defragging?" or "no, that doesnt make a difference anyways". well it does if you have never done it, and you keep on installing and uninstalling shit a billion times over.:P i bet if you open up that guys case, you will find tons of dust just sitting on his motherboard.:D

Doug the Unforgiven

Postby Doug the Unforgiven » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:15 pm

It doesn't surprise me. My comp won't even let me run scandisk, so I can't defrag either. On scandisk, it says that it had to start over 10+ times because of data to and from windows. Basicly it told me I had programs running when there were none running. So I'm kinda twiddling my thumbs wondering what to do next. Plus a friend of mine told me that scandisk could ruin everything given the right circumstances. I'm no comp guru, either. I did buy it in pieces from Tigerdirect and put it together myself (which for me was a great accomplishment).

So, any ideas?

:cool:

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:22 pm

Yeah edogg, that was pretty much the same to me as saying "here drink a can of beer for 50$" lol and doug, even if it says scandisk restarted 10+ times you don't have to stop it you can just let it keep running or say continue.

Edogg

Postby Edogg » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:27 pm

well with defragging, i believe you have to have a certain amount of free space on your hard drive before you can do an effective and thorough defrag. you also will want to disable your screensaver(also any programs running) while defragging, because evey time it pops up, the defragger has to reset itself.

also if things are really bad, it wouldnt hurt to just reformat your hard drive and do a fresh install of everything.

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:32 pm

I would listen to a man with "Forum Whore" for a title ;)

COL.BUKKAKE

Postby COL.BUKKAKE » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:56 pm

I gotta get you guys into sports.........or maybe its the other way around, I'm real pissed I know nothin bout technology............Oh by the way Tool, shoulda askd the guy for more cash, tell him the job was harder than you thought.......:D

Edogg

Postby Edogg » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:02 pm

Originally posted by COL.BUKKAKE
I gotta get you guys into sports.........or maybe its the other way around, I'm real pissed I know nothin bout technology............Oh by the way Tool, shoulda askd the guy for more cash, tell him the job was harder than you thought.......:D

hey boo, i like sports. I just havent paid to much attention to sports in the past year or so. Im a huge tigers,lions and pistons fans. with the way the tigers and lions have played over the past couple years, you can see why im sort of out of the loop on sports recently. I also like hockey, but i only watch the playoffs...the regular season is just too repetitive and meaningless. Im also a huge university of michigan fan.

COL.BUKKAKE

Postby COL.BUKKAKE » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:12 pm

Dogg with those teams I can see why, just makin an ass statement as usual, wish I woulda put more energy into learnin, but not doin to bad ,need sports its part of my income, gamblin gives me a reason to know everythin thats goin on............Penn St baby:D

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:45 pm

Penn State bukkake, I live 2 miles from Penn State's beaver statium and not to be an ass cause your kewl and all but you have to recognize our creative differences if you would, I would rather die then care about sports. If you think thats a blind view then you need to see all the trophys I have from conquering every sport I ever tried and then I realized no one played it for fun anymore and only the kewl kids got played in the games anyways, my coaches all knew who's parents were rich and played only those kids although when I played I dominated. I had a 65 mph fast ball in farm league and my record 82mph at 17 years old.

COL.BUKKAKE

Postby COL.BUKKAKE » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:06 pm

I dont blame you at all Tool, I have a 5 yr old and tell him all the time sports is a waste, school is what matters most, dont get me wrong I want him to play just because I feel its good to learn about teamwork and all that bullshit....But lets be honest I'm a 5-8 white guy, my kids gonna be a 5-6 white guy, so I would be more proud if he was top of his class then I would if he scored 5 TD's.......still the way I am, I woulda takin the guy for more money on the job you did :D

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:09 pm

see I couldn't though cause he's a "Family friend" and I already felt bad for royally ripping him in the first place.

COL.BUKKAKE

Postby COL.BUKKAKE » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:16 pm

Money is money...........I know you hate it, but have you ever attended a game at Beaver stadium?...I havent

Rat Bastard

Postby Rat Bastard » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:40 pm

Originally posted by Doug the Unforgiven
It doesn't surprise me. My comp won't even let me run scandisk, so I can't defrag either. On scandisk, it says that it had to start over 10+ times because of data to and from windows. Basicly it told me I had programs running when there were none running. So I'm kinda twiddling my thumbs wondering what to do next. Plus a friend of mine told me that scandisk could ruin everything given the right circumstances. I'm no comp guru, either. I did buy it in pieces from Tigerdirect and put it together myself (which for me was a great accomplishment).

So, any ideas?

:cool:

Easy fix for this one- start your computer in safemode (hold down F8 after the bios screen), run scandisk and defrag there (assuming you're a 9x machine). Should work okay. Let me know if it doesn't.

Doug the Unforgiven

Postby Doug the Unforgiven » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:09 pm

"I would listen to a man with "Forum Whore" for a title ;) " --Tool

Indeed! I wasn't sure there was anything above 'Uber Member.' Not sure if I've seen one till now.

Thanks for the ideas Edogg and Rat Bastard.

I'm nowhere near needing a reformat and reinstall of everything. I want to avoid that anyway. My comp runs great (except for the usual Windows crap that everybody goes thru). And I have plenty of HD space, ~ 50 GB.

Thanks again. I'll see what happens... :beer: :D

Next

Return to The Smokin' Room