Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...
Post a reply

Ken Burns 'The War'

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:44 pm

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

I know most people avoid PBS like the plague, but when this airs, I *highly* recommend you make an exception. If it's one tenth as good as his Civil War series, then it's not to be missed. It's not action oriented, but Burns is usually pretty good at getting to the underlying causes and effects of an event, and he really excels at showing you the human toll through personal photos and letters home.
BTW, check out the '1000 yard stare' of the poor GI on PBS's webpage for 'The War'. Amazing pic.

Re: Ken Burns 'The War'

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:57 pm

looks amazing indeed. this will be one that i shall not miss.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:12 am

cavalierlwt wrote:http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

I know most people avoid PBS like the plague, but when this airs, I *highly* recommend you make an exception. If it's one tenth as good as his Civil War series, then it's not to be missed. It's not action oriented, but Burns is usually pretty good at getting to the underlying causes and effects of an event, and he really excels at showing you the human toll through personal photos and letters home.
BTW, check out the '1000 yard stare' of the poor GI on PBS's webpage for 'The War'. Amazing pic.

This kind of series should have been made a long time ago, a lot of members of the greatest generation who accomplished extraordinary things during the war have now passed.

But the Latin-American community doesn't want me to watch it! And it makes no reference to the Inuit-Alaskans that fought.:roll:

If you're down for reading, check out Citizen Soldier by Ambrose, a really good and easy read.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:00 pm

This looks really good thanks for the heads up.
Post a reply